Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

The "Electronic Library for Minnesota" (ELM) is a great resource for students, teachers, and any other adults who need to research a specific topic. I could definitely use this site to research topics for my Master's final research paper. I like how many search options are available and that users are able to specify what type of source they want (newspaper article, journal article, etc.). I also think that the folders are great. It is nice to have the ability to save an article to a folder and read it at a later time. In the past, I would have printed the article if I didn't have time to read it on the computer. I think this feature will save a lot of paper.

I think this website is a great resource to introduce to students. I often find that when students are conducting research, they rely on sites like Google or Wikipedia. These may be good starting points for research, but students need to take their research to the next level. This site enables them to get scholarly articles about specific topics.

I also think this a great site to share with teachers. Many teachers require their students to conduct research and an awareness of this great resource would help their students to perform higher quality research. Teachers can also use this site to search for education related articles to share with their colleagues or for curriculum based articles to share with their students.

No comments: